Bishop Paul Mason

Got drenched going on the bus to the cathedral - we had to be there at 9.45 a.m. Enjoyed the ordination of Bishop Paul Mason at St George's cathedral Southwark. Being in the choir had a great view and lovely to see so many priests I know. Pity everybody was not together in the marquee afterwards especially the ecumenical guests as I know 3 of them! There was a great deal to sing but the people were able to join in as it was well-known. I endured the choir rehearsal on Saturday for the consecration of our new bishop which happens today. I did find it irritating that the music booklet called it "the ordination" and some of the composers were not given. The hymn tunes not printed either - why? Some of the Diocesan choir cannot read music but lots can. For the first time some of the youngsters from the Cathedral choir are singing with us. It remains to be seen if the organ will be used. :( 
As a tenor I find the attitude towards harmony puzzling. Why some items in harmony and others not? Some tunes are just too low for me. I consider myself a friendly person with a happy smile but this choir are definitely cliquey. One man replied to me "I've not seen you before". Hardly a friendly welcome and I replied that I had sing with them in the past. A friend asked if we would sing at the Chrism mass to which I said "No, not if the rehearsals are like this". I think it is fundamental that the end time of a rehearsal should be stated. It is just self indulgent for the conductor to talk as much as he likes and repeat things without explaining why! I also think that when young people are present we need to be very careful what we say about the liturgy, bishops, etc. ! Actually we need to be careful full stop if we call ourselves Christians! :D 
Oh well I expect we will enjoy it and we are going because we like the bishop to be! And bless him he has chosen some good hymns and music. :D

The Taize beforehand went on for ever and all so loud. As bad as singing Elijah but at least in an oratorio you get some breaks! It was lovely to meet old friends but why were the clergy at a separate reception and the bishops somewhere else? Are we not One Church? It was also a shame that the ecumenical guests were not in the marquee as I know 3 of them. I had a good chat to the Mayor of Southwark who seemed to have been left to her own devices! Here is the music list. I am afraid I avoided Mr M although Liz spoke to him! Several Catenians there. 
Be thou my vision O God you search me Farrell great piece
O Christe Domine Taize Hymn for the Holy Year of mercy Inwood like this
Praise to The Lord the almighty
Kyrie Jodie Page Clark
Gloria Mass of remembrance Haugen
psalm beautifully sung You will draw water - composer not given
Alleluia Easter O sons and daughters chant - used several times
come Holy Ghost
litany chant accompanied on piano some odd variations
symbols of your office Alan McLean
may God bless John Bell
will you let me be your servant
Let my prayer rise up as a canon Haugen like this
Missa de angelis Sanctus
we proclaim chant
great Amen Haugen
our Father Rimsky-korsokov
Agnus Dei Missa de angelis and then hummed?
be still O godhead hid
Magnificat Walker sung by school children lovely
Part of Te Deumusing Celtic Alleluia as refrain
tell out my soul Guide me o thou great redeemer
so plenty to sing that people know, brass, piano, organ. 
Widor Toccata
:D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil