Christmas

 My present from Liz is Paul Spicer's biography of Sir Arthur Bliss which promises to be fascinating. Third trip to Caterham this weekend and all went well No choir. I couldn't hear the sermon. To Acton for a lovely lunch and Joanne and family came. Had a sleep after lunch and played games (I could not hear much!) To bed at 10. Liz stayed up to watch a film. No TV but I did see the King's message on my phone. It was excellent.

Boxing Day cooked breakfast and drove home. Henry came to get his presents and show off his new art set and large canvas. Excellent programme about the coronation and the King's year. Carols from King's. The hills are alive with the Kanneh-Masons. Portsmouth cathedral midnight fantastic playing and singing with the Royal Marines band. Manchester cathedral was good too.

St John's day Eyre at 12 noon service and a delicious lunch in the vicarage. Bake off and pottery throw down. Call the midwife very good. Only connect and university challenge. Christmas repair shop. 

Holy Innocents and Dean Mark quoted Malcolm Guite Refugee at SC. To see "One Life" at West Norwood. There are heartrending scenes especially when three brothers are split up. Ordinary people can make a difference! I wish every MP and newspaper editor especially those who call refugees "vermin" would go and see this film. On the bus home a woman with a buggy trod on my right foot. When I pointed this out she barely apologised. SM carols. Realised I had seen Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty. Midnight Mass from Liverpool RC cathedral was good with the boys singing well and brass. The occasion when I met Sir Arthur Bliss must have been 6 Sept 1974 when Introduction and allegro was played. Only connect, University challenge.

Friday woke at 4 a.m. Liz went to Lidl and I listened to the excellent evensong from Lancing College. The young soloists sounded very confident. Darke in F. Listened to Sir Arthur Bliss on Desert island discs in 1972 - upper class but amusing. We went to Dulwich gallery to see the Rubens and sort out the membership so I can take somebody with me. Tea and cake. Catena has published my anonymous letter.

Only connect and university challenge.

Sat woke at 5 and dropped off so missed Hurtado. SM at Stuart Road allotments. A gray day. To Mass and Liz served and I am now on the rota of readers at David's suggestion. Nobel prize concert from Stckholm. Great speech by composer Gabriella Smith. Tumblebird contrails is fascinating and 300 times better than some of the Proms commissions!

Esa Pekka conducting and a great speech before conducting Daphnis and Chloe suite No 2. Julia Fischer played the Brahms concerto. Save the planet. Vienna opera ball.
Sunday St John's day. The old year now is past Bach, Impromptu on Grafton Sidney Campbell, Peregrine sang Three kings very well (he is now in Cayman islands until March 2) Paean on Divinum mysterium John Cook. I dug my heels in about Word supreme and Susan copied it for the congregation. New copies of Revised English hymnal have come. Intrigued by John Donne set by Pelham Humfrey arranged by Robert Tear. I think John Bell would not be impressed to see Will you come and follow me ironed out into equal notes. He insisted it is in triple time. Morning service from Norwich on Julian of Norwich. Stanford in G Magnificat. Berlin Philharmonic New Year concert at West Norwood picturehouse London. Wagner beautifully played and conducted by Petrenko. Jonas Kaufmann in part 2. Walkure Act 1. Sue there. Saw the New Year in and nice chat to Ann. Great fireworks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil