Liz away

Liz has gone to Hexham for a few days. I have managed to sleep better this time but I still miss her. I am getting pretty fed up with carols in Advent. The Archbishop of Canterbury's Advent message stresses the need to wait so why does the Church pander to the secular world. Friday's practice went much better. Saturday to Coulsdon town centre to sing carols with Churches together at 1 p.m. There was a lot of noise from other attractions. No carol CDs were sold and my view is that next year we should give them away with a notice about our Christmas services. We have several boxes left and have neither the marketing skills or time to sell them. We have made some money for the hospice and the church.
To Vespers and Mass. I went up by train and when I arrived saw 3 black wedding cars and a white stretch limo outside. The wedding had started 49 minutes late and Fr Michael did well to get through in time for Vespers. John was there and 5 of the kids. The new cantor started "Crator of the stars of night" far too slowly so we moved it on! I did thurifer. The kids need training and John was not much help. I was invited to mince pie and wine with the Challoner choir who had murdered Palestrina earlier!
Today went OK. We sang "Zion hears" and I played "Comfort ye" - the test of the first reading. At 3 p.m. I set off for St John's Caterham. The organiser of the Marie Curie cancer fund Lights to remember was desperate for someone to play 3 carols but I wish I had refused. I was not thanked or mentioned in the programme. The whole thing was secular with a poor school choir, a saxophone playing "Wonderful world" and a dreadful rendition in soul style of "Silent night". There was no address from the vicar. I also fell off the small platform around the organ bench and could not find a pedal light so played manuals only. I had a mince pie and mulled wine and came home having wasted 2 and a half hours. I did put up the tree and lights in the lounge while watching the delightful "Beatrix Potter" "Little Dorrit" and "Antiques Roadshow". I am now going to work on my blog about the Holy Land.

Comments

Edbowie said…
The men in the Palestrina were particularly gruesome !

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil