Maria Thomas

We both enjoyed the concert at St Martin Ludgate Hill. Maria Thomas played Britten and Telemann very well and good to see gallery prommers. Not enthusiastic about the bass but the flute and piano were lovely. Excellent lunch at Joe's diner. Barbara paid the bill which was a big surprise! To Museum of London to see London nights and impressed by GFWatts memorial in Postman's Park. We both went swimming this morning!  I can't say I enjoyed Roger Sayer's recital at Brompton oratory. Magnificent playing but far too much in minor keys and fiery reeds. Mendelssohn, Brahms, Reger and Reubke to finish. A lady remarked "it was all a bit modern for my taste" which is interesting as the most recent work was Reger in 1916! I do think programme notes should tell us what the chorales are about. It cannot be assumed that we know what " Herzlich mit verlangen" means. Brahms "O wie selig" is such a consoling piece which I often start with at funerals but the registration was decidedly odd to my ears. Watched University challenge. Liz heard voicemails from Bishop Pat - I cannot hear them on the mobile phone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil