Deane Yates

I was very sad to hear from John East of the passing of Deane Yates.
Here are a few memories of him. He had a most commanding presence especially at assemblies and he had a clear vision that God had chosen him to run the school. He would see me walking to school from Yeoville but sadly I did not find him approachable. “At homes” were excruciating. Conversation would turn to the dogs or where I lived. In later years my Dad would give Monsieur Le Grand a lift to school and I remember this being remarked upon and appreciated. However at least we learnt how to make polite conversation about nothing!
I suppose I had never really had a conversation with him until I was due to leave and we were each summoned to Blogs’s office. “A first class matric but how good will it be? We need teachers – good – that’s what we need!” I knew perfectly well that I would never be a teacher but I went along with it. In fact I have enjoyed teaching amateurs to sing and read music so maybe he was right! Others were not as diffident as me – Scott Macrobert took his dinner and put it on his desk and demanded to know if he would eat it!
When Liz and I came to the 1963 reunion in 2008, Rob Baillie suggested that we visit him in Waverley. We were delighted to see Dot being so well cared for and surrounded by loving staff. He was losing sight but recalled much about my family. Best of all the chaplain brought communion and we shared in a short service. Photos were taken and then as we left he embraced me. I was very touched by this. The man I had respected and feared had appreciated our visit so much. Truly a Christian gentleman.
May he rest in peace.
John Woodhouse Thompson 1963

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil