Michael Bourdeaux

I have copied this email because it refers to events not mentioned in my blog. His book says "In 1980 the Free Scharansky protestors" invaded the Festival Hall to protest and disrupt the live broadcast of Nevsky which featured a remarkable Russian mezzo. In fact it was Arkhipova and the correct date was 23/3/1977! Muti had been warned and remained calm but clearly angry and he reassured the soloist who had to start her solo three times and we finished. It was actually frightening hoe easy it was for the protestors. What if they had had a bomb. I am very ambivalent about this while supporting the cause is it right to disrupt a concert? The same thing happened at the Israel philharmonic Prom. I also don't agree with the Last Night being turned into a political football. Let's all wave EU flags, Union Jacks, the lot! 

 Dear Michael, Liz bought your excellent book for me and I found it most interesting. We remember Gillian with affection and I always think of her when I hear or play Elijah. We both sang at St Edmund Beckenham in the Faure requiem. That was when we met Tom Creagh-Fuller (sadly we sang at the requiem for him last year). We were in the porch at your wedding to Lorna and Mark sang beautifully. We must have had our children with us hence the porch. All 3 have done well and we have 3 grandsons. You taught us the Russian for Rachmaninov Vespers and how we loved that work. It's interesting that I can hear you speaking in the way you write! Many authors disguise their own speaking style. 

I am pretty sure it was Muti not Svetlanov whose Nevsky broadcast was disrupted by protestors. There was a Russian mezzo who was terrific. Muti's face was like thunder but he remained calm. Actually the ease with which the protestors got in was frightening. 

I am glad you mentioned Malcolm Walker. I think I may have seen him at the Proms. I do wish the chorus history had been written. We have lost so many Joyce, Jean, Ron, Charles, Doreen who could have told so much. How I wish I had recorded more. I have put down what I remember in my life story blog John Woodhouse's story and the organist librarian if you are interested. It is indexed to save time. The chorus was very bad about thanking people who left considering how many hours we gave 40 years for Liz, 38 for me. I met Glynis and we agreed that we had the best of times, travel, conductors, chorus masters, soloists. Truly a golden age! I am back playing the organ at St John Caterham. No singing at all but the choir should be back next month. Liz sings at St John Upper Norwood. When we shall return to serving at Westminster cathedral is unknown. 

There is much more to say but I just wanted to say thank you and I regret we did not support Keston as much as we should have. Keep safe in these strange times. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil