3 organ recitals in an afternoon - compare and contrast!

Only 3 in choir at Coulsdon so we sang the unison Rutter setting and "We love the place O God" from A & MR. Words are good! The girls seem to have assumed that if there was no Sunday school there was no choir too! There was a powerpoing presentation about planned giving - not good timing! The church needs another £267 a week! I have now done my tax returns showing my expenses for 3 years - I cannot claim for travel from home or for another pair of trousers! To Royal Hospital Chelsea. I was early so visited the excellent National Army museum - good art gallery with some famous pictures of the Boer War! Very well presented for kids especially about Waterloo. The chapel at the Hospital is very fine and Gabriele Damiani plays well. Denis Bedard's Suite Romantique is very like Suite gothique in structure and quite delightful and amusing. Corelli Concerto grosso OP 6 No 10 and John West to finish - not quite to my taste. Met a member of the library reading group. The dining hall ios truly magnificent with royal portraits. Bus 170 to Victoria and met Eleanor at Marks when I went for a cappuccino and almond croissant. To the cathedral for Thomas Wilson's excellent recital of 3 Dupre preludes and fugues - stunning playing. Met Naomi and James who are working very hard. To the Abbey - the usual wait outside the gate with the tourists! Leon Charles the organ scholar played Whitlock Plymouth suite and RVW preludes on Welsh hymn tunes. One slip in Rhosymedre when he pressed the wrong piston and got reeds! Interesting to hear pieces I play. Read most of The Tablet. Watched Little Dorrit episode 1 and Stephen Fry in America.

Comments

Edbowie said…
I missed Thomas's recital, but have heard him play the Dupre P&F's before and agree he is at home with this repertoire. Does Madeleine ever sing as a cantor these days?
I don't think so - we had a new cantor on Saturday called Anna and she clearly had not rehearsed the Macmillan Lamb of God. I felt for her!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil