The father of the bride's speech




Ladies and gentlemen
It is a great pleasure to welcome you all here today and to thank you all for coming to share this wonderful day with us!
Being a librarian, I naturally borrowed 4 books of wedding speeches but I need not have worried as I was given plenty of advice about what to say!
Louise and Tom have gone to so much trouble to make this a wonderful start for their married life together. Louise has been under strict instructions that she could not elope as I have played the organ for so many weddings. When I announced that this was going to be my special day too, Louise was quick to remind me that this was her day! But in fact this is a great day for both of our families.
Many of you have travelled a long way to be here today not least from Ireland and congratulations to Limerick on reaching the hurling final. Louise tells me that had the wedding been tomorrow the Irish contingent would be much smaller!
My dear sister Ann wins the prize for coming all the way from Sydney! And I’d like to say a special thank you to Louise’s godfather Lyn who is a member of this lovely club and to his dear wife Rosemary for all their help in arranging this day.
Louise you have been a joy to all of us from the day you were born. You are a beautiful daughter and sister, caring, kind, generous, and loyal. Your singing has given us so much pleasure both at church and at school and you have many wonderful friends.
What can I say about Tom? Quite simply, Louise couldn’t have chosen better. He’s everything I would have looked for in a son-in-law and we are delighted that he is joining our family.
I can only wish that you both will be as happy as Liz and I have been during the last 33 years.
It is said that when children find true love, parents find true joy – and true joy is what I am feeling today. So for me to say that I have gained a wonderful son-in-law is the greatest compliment that I can give.
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like you to join me in drinking a toast to the happy couple. To Louise and Tom!

Comments

Peter Simpson said…
An excellent speech!
Thanks Peter. The groom, bride and best man all spoke very well too!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil