Chrism Mass



Another magnificent celebration at 12 noon today! The privilege of being at the centre of such an event which is so well planned is truly amazing and very humbling. Liz and I were consecration candles and I feel much more relaxed about doing this now. It was great to see so many people there and of course all the priests and seminarians including Edward. Deacon Richard read the gospel. The choir excelled in Elgar's "The spirit of the Lord" and Colin Mawby's "Ave verum" and a splendid Monteverdi setting. There were wonderful hymns "My song is love unknown" "O Godhead hid" and "The royal banners forward go". Note the white veil on the cross and the magnificent oils. More pictures on the Westminster diocesan site. Liz was able to stay for lunch but I had to return to work.

Comments

Peter Simpson said…
A very splendid photo with the High Altar Crucifix veiled in white. I have mixed feelings about veiling (I don't veil the crucifix in the Chapel of the Resurrection), but it struck me when I read your post about Palm Sunday, wouldn't it look better if the High Altar Crucifix was veiled in red for Palm Sunday, rather than being left in purple? I don't know what the rules are about such things, but given that veiling is optional I imagine some flexibility could be allowed.
Have passed on the idea to Mgr Mark via the blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil