Praise to the holiest

I somehow omitted to mention going to hear Sir Arthur Somervell's Passion on Saturday March 24 at the beautiful St Anne's church, Vauxhall. It would be best to draw a veil over the efforts of the choir especially the sopranos but the soloists were good and the fine organ was sensitively played. The organ was preserved by Bishops and it was good to meet Manuel, the resident organist and see the console beforehand. It is a Walker from 1911.
It was a shame that "My song is love unknown" was interpolated as this fine Ireland tune rather showed up Somervell but the real shock was to sing "Praise to the holiest" to the Dykes tune at the end instead of the splendid soaring Somervell tune which is the one bit of the work I know! The organist was Christopher Cromar, the conductor Noel Charles and the soloists Melanie Lodge, William Molesworth and Tim Storey.

Comments

Copernicus said…
>it was good to meet Manuel, the resident organist

Just wondering - is there just one of him? :-)

M.
I think there is also an elderly lady who plays there! It is certainly a very fine organ so lucky Manuel who I'm told likes to play traditional hymns!
It's taken a while but I think I see Martin's play on words about manuals. Che? as another Manuel said! Tee hee!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil