Canon Mark Oakley

There was a noisy party in Whitehorse Lane up to 5 a.m. I could only hear it when the window was open. Liz went on the bus  to first communion class at the cathedral. I played for service and the psalm was better although Debbie is still not always on the note but we did have a look at the Vigil psalms. Then I was off to St Paul's cathedral for the talk on his book "The collage of God" by Canon Mark Oakley. The lady next to me had been at the Abbey yesterday. He basically told us his story. He spoke of the need for clergy to be honest about their beliefs and doubts. Liturgy is "poetry in motion" and the literal minded worshipper needs to be engaged with fresh language. Google has influenced our minds to think in terms of facts he said in answer to my question. I liked his story of the farmer who said his shepherd's crook was not to catch the naughty ones but to stick into the ground and hold so that he was so still the sheep will trust him. I sent this to Bishop John who has agreed to speak at clergy supper! I took a second letter to Clive Nettleton in West Norwood who answered the door. He had just come back from California and might come to the Octobe reunion. The May one is now full. Evensong we sang Batten 4th service and Behold the Lamb of God. Watched Africa and emailed Bishop Christopher and Jane Hedges.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil