Advent 4

 Drove toCaterham no problem. Snow still lying. Clarissa came so went through the Nardone and Thorne with her. Linda had a bad throat and Peregrine hurt his shoulder. I played Bairstow and Statham on Veni Emmanuel. We sang People look East. Clarissa announced she is coming to midnight but not the carol service so that's the alto gone. NT at home Prima facie a fantastic performance by Jodie Comer and a very thought provoking pay. I avoided the football and much enjoyed Straight line crazy with Ranulph Fiennes. Antiques roadshow. 

Monday rain overnight so snow gone. Rang Ann - her 66th birthday. Swim at 10 and had the lane to myself! Another 2 sopranos not coming to carol service but hope to be at Midnight. This is getting ridiculous!. To King's to see Dr Varma at last. No bedside manner at all. He called me Sir! It's up to me whether I have a knee op but as I have no pain there seems to be no point. Age is against me. Go back in a year. Booked to see GP about my left heel. 

Tuesday swim at 11. A woman shut the disabled change room door and then said It's Ok I've got my key! What was she doing? I thought I had left my hat behind but it was at home. Sean came to fix the backing for the crib. SLN talk about migration. Quiet time and met Paola who teaches Pilates. Crib put up. Looks great. To Caterham for carol practice. 4 in choir. Christmas on the farm, University challenge, Repair shop at Christmas a repeat. 

Wed washing and bed changed. Liz temperature and rash so took her to King's. Wild Venice on Netflix. Shona and Elaine both ill. Liz being admitted. Carols went well and there was a good congregation. We even had descants. I sang the tune. Mince pie and mulled wine. The RVW items were just right. 

Thursday Liz still in A and E cubicle but sounds to be Ok. I didn't go for a swim. Louise decided not to come over. To dentist and got new denture and to Sainsburys to shop. Met Darren there. Liz safely home and better. SLN Advent liturgy very powerful. Watched more of Leopoldstat. Winter walk with Amanda Owen. 

Friday lie-in. Raining so no swim! Played RVW Fantasia, Reger Wiegenlied, Noels on piano. All of us is a powerful play about disability NT at home. Liz changed antibiotic GP as she was sick. She decorated the cake. Christmas University challenge. Enjoyed Yorkshire Christmas, London Zoo Christmas with a new gorilla and baby tigers. 

Christmas Eve lie-in. Lovely walk with Richard looking at 4 cribs at SM. Wrapping presents. Feel really odd that not able to play at Streatham Hill after all because of leaks! At least I do not have to attempt sections from Messiah plus Missa de angelis and Charlie seemed to be down to do solos. That is not what Christmas is really about. We should all be singing. Liz has to stay home. We have quite a lot of cards, It is 50 years since I was actually in King's college chapel for the carol service. I have listened to the service on the radio every year since I was a little boy in Johannesburg. I think we might have missed it the year we were in India for Christmas! I checked we heard it on our return in January! We listened the year we were in Tasmania. Superb singing this year. Midnight went well 5 in the choir. We sang Rocking On Christmas night and Sing lullaby.

A lovely Christmas day. No choir. I played Messiah sections. Come and join the celebration is naff and didn't work. I played Gant, Noel Suisse. I think there have been new people in church this Christmas. The King was terrific and watched the Carol service from the Abbey. Carols from King's and caught up on midnight from Leeds. Call the midwife is back. Strictly. Now watching Sheku and enjoying Port and stilton.
Boxing Day. Enjoyed Blackburn cathedral Midnight and Christmas Day. Lovely singing and good preaching. Dennis, Ann Marie and Henry came for lunch. Delicous sausage stew and roulade. Henry liked the painting I had given him and set out to copy it. Pottery throwdown was lovely. Organ stops about Martin Renshaw saving pipe organs. A church closes every day in the UK. So sad that organs end up in skips. And what about training organists? Where will they play? Chat to Bruce and tried again on dining room TV.

St John's day. Southwark mike failed. Excellent homily from Fr Bruno. We sang Jackson in G and Lionel's Melbourne Gloria at St John's. Eyre O fragrant the liles. Adrian conducted. David Hayward came to lunch which was very enjoyable. Chatted to Pauline who works at Lakeside. Christmas University challenge.

Holy Innocents SM was back, S and B. Did not go for swim -it was wet and windy. My pyjama pants need elastic! BBC4 Nature selection of classical music from archives including Janet Baker at the Proms. Greatest snowman - Gareth did well but did not win. Wrote Meditation for Cheltenham circle Jan 5. Excellent evensong from Croydon Minster. The modern Coppelia and Matthew Bourne's Nutcracker were both excellent. Only connect and Christmas University challenge. We finished off the beef and starters and roulade! Also had melon. Miriam Margolyes in Tasmania. LGBT laws are most Liberal in Oz. It used to be the opposite. Aborigine tribe. Royal Institution lectures on forensic science fascinating. Dame Sue Black. Repair shop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil