Sackcloth and ashes

On Sunday we sang Wesley's superb "Wash me throughly" in the morning and Charles Wood's Mass in the Phrygian mode which was my audition piece at Coulsdon. Psalm 63 beautifully chanted and some fine new words to "Lift high the cross". I played Buxtehude Passacaglia in D minor and the Partita "Auf meine leben Gott". We also sang "My spirit longs for thee" to the tune "Eccles" (Goons?) I should have used "Quam dilecta" but forgot!
Evensong was suitably penitential with psalms 12 and 13, Willan fauxbourdon setting and Mudd's "Let thy merciful ears". I played Bach's "O Lamm Gottes unschuldig" Orgelbuchlein prelude and "The descent from the Cross" which is the bass aria from the St Matthew Passion. At the end prelude "Herzliebster Jesu" by Brahms.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil