Sunday

At Coulsdon there was a baptism and we sang Darke in E and "The Lord hath been mindful of us" by Wesley. The hymns included "Oft in danger, oft in woe" and "How sweet the name of Jesus sounds". My playing of Elgar's "Chanson de Matin" and Pomp and Circumstance March No.4. Liz acted as cantor at vespers at short notice last night - she had served at the big Polish Mass. She cooked a nice lunch of mackerel with orange and onion, mushrooms and courgettes. At evensong there were 6 in the choir and I sang bass and acted as cantor. We sang John Harper's RSCM Choristers' Prayer, Rutter's "I will sing with the spirit" and Dyson in C minor which is in unison. The choir sat on one side of the chancel and the small congregation on the console side.Teresa included one of the prayers for musicians I had provided. I played Francis Jackson's voluntary on "East Acklam" as we sang "For the fruits of His creation" and Lloyd Webber on "Fair waved the golden corn". I met Julian Lloyd Webber on Tuesday and told him I played his father's music. FJ is 90 this year and was awarded the CBE. Seeing the red autumn leaves on the ground reminded me of collecting leaves at Sheffield Park with the kids to make a collage. I colelcted Liz from St John's after evensong there. She had been to see Grandma. It was a lovely sunny day. Watched Michael Palin, Antiques roadshow and listened to "The Choir". Also watched "Who do you think you are" featuring Graham Norton.

Comments

Edbowie said…
At Evensong at York Minster last Saturday 10th, Philip Moore played his Variations and Fugue on East Acklam. A fine piece where the last two lines of the tune are iterated on the Tuba Mirabilis in the fugue. Richard McVeigh comments-on the Manders board-that this piece is included in a collection called 'Fanfare for Francis' to mark FJs 90th.

PS Always worth visiting York Minster on the 10th evening for the gorgeous Ivor Atkins chant that concludes Ps 55.
Thanks for telling me about this new voluntary and collection. Yes the Atkins chant is great. I always loved PSalm 150 in procession at the Minster. My Dad was a York man! We sent FJ cards for his birthday and CBE - he should have had a knighthood!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil