MacMillan

Maundy Thursday arrived at church to find Vincent Coggin had been and disconnected the flute but was unable to tune as he had no assistant in Holy Week - a lot of use! I used the piano for some of it as we sat in the transept. Vickie washed feet for the first time and we sang "To mock your reign". Psalm 22 went well at the end. Liz was at the cathedral.
Good Friday Liz left the car at Victoria for me as she attended the liturgy. I got the train at King's Cross and had a quiet time after the rehearsal. Had a simple lunch at M & S and saw the end of the procession outside King's. Went to evensong at King's with the men only - plain chant and a 3 part motet. The performance went really well and the composer was most complimentary - I never got to speak to him. Jean and her friend accompanied me on the train home - a fleet of taxis got us to the station in good time. What a wonderful work it is!
Saturday I was working but I did hear bits of the broadcast and it sounded fantastic. Nic Chalmers was delighted. This could be my last appearance with the chorus after 37 years!
I came home after work for a quick meal and then we were off to the Vigil. I was crosier bearer for the archbishop. My script never mentioned that I was needed for a large part of the baptism and confirmation ceremonies! It was as always a moving ceremony with wonderful Palestrina Sicut cervus and Vierne Messe solenelle. It started at 8.30 p.m. and finished around 10 p.m. David in the choir was received into the church and we gave him a card.
Easter Day to Coulsdon and all went well - it was a simpler setting as there were 2 first communions and Teresa was pleased. Vickie had gone to David's baptism in Milan.
Had a good lunch at the Jugged Hare and to vespers where I was once again crozier bearer for the Archbishop and the choir were on good form. To St John's for evensong - Stanford Te Deum and benediction.
Easter Monday to Bromley Parish church for an excellent recital by David Hill who was pleased to see us and he had enjoyed the MacMillan! Spent a quiet day catching up on HDD notably Michael Portillo on the railways. Watched Sacred Music about Brahms and Bruckner and Part and Gorecki. Also MacMillan, Rutter and Tavener. Very well done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil