The Feast of the Assumption



The weather today was mixed -some rain and wind! Spoke to Ann and Paul on Skype. Ann will be here next Wednesday!The dentist did me proud - giving me 2 fillings for the price of 1! I was late as Liz had left the car but gone off with the car keys. I also had to go back as I had left my spectacles behind!
It was decided that Grandma had cystitis and she should stay in Mayday a little longer! I went through lots of magazines throwing out ones I have read or will never get to read including Catena, Music and Liturgy, Laudate, PMM magazine, Church Music Quarterly, Choir and Organ, etc. I also deleted a large number of items on the HDD which again I do not have time to watch.
The 5.30 mass at the cathedral was celebrated by Bishop Bernard Longley who sings so well and is so friendly. I was consecration torch with some girls from St Mary's. Wantage. They missed the Alton Towers day but I can't see that serving at the cathedral is as much fun as Oblivion, etc! Mgr Mark and Fr Christopher were con celebrating wearing lovely older vestments.Vicky acted as cantor singing the plainchant beautifully and Missa de Angelis.
I then got the train to Crystal Palace. At St John's, we sang Haydn St Joannis de Deo Mass which we will have at the wedding and Elgar's Ave Maris stella. Richard Pilliner improvised on plainchant themes like Salve Regina and Ave maris stella. Beverley in her sermon said that the Orthodox story was that Thomas was the only one of the apostles to miss the death of Mary and when he arrived 3 days late, the tomb was opened to find no body. Once again he had missed it! She traced the background to the feast in Anglican thought.
I got the bus and walked home. It had been a lovely feast day. Padrerob has the icon and interesting hymns! Go here
For the dedicated blog readers I have added photos to the Cambridge, Baldock and Nymans accounts! Picture here from Chapel of the Resurrection - isn't it lovely!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Agree that the Assumption Mass at the Cathedral was impressive. BL has such a lovely voice when intoning and in his homily was impressive in his use of the language. I also agree about the singing. Good to hear the Credo sung. Is Vicky a professional singer? She sounds up to Oxbridge choral scholar standard ! Some good impros from the organist. As for the doctrine of the Assumption-as a conservative evangelical Anglican-I better not go there !!!!
I don't know if the cantors at the cathedral are professionals or even paid! Only 2 liturgical concerns about Charles Cole. The alleluia started too early and the improviation at the end was not long enough. The procession had to come back to the sacristy in silence! But I agree the improvisations were excellent. Pity the congregation didn't get to sing a favourite hymn about Mary as we did at St John's! Cardinal Hume's homily on this feast that because Mary led the way we can all hope to get to heaven is good enough for me!
Of course the Bishop is a former Anglican as is Fr Christopher. They know how to do things properly the Anglicans!
Correction It is Bishop Alan Hopes who is a former Anglican. Bishop Bernard was ordained when he was 26!
Anonymous said…
Of course, the beautiful plainsong theme 'Ave Maris Stella' must be a dream for improvisers ! The other thing about Vicky's beautiful singing is the clarity of diction which is rare these days. As for Marian hymns I note that when I attend Evensong at York on 8 Sept-the Nativity-'Sing we off the Blessed Mother' will be sung to Cyril Taylor's 'Abbots Leigh'. If you ever visit Salisbury Cathedral, there is a memorial plaque to CT in the cloisters that incorporates the opening notes of thatlovely tune.
Thanks for that edbowie. I will go and look for that plaque next time we go to Salisbury which incidentally must have one of the finest cathedral organs in the world! How about writing to the precentor about a hymn at the offertory on Saturday nights? I like "For Mary mother of our Lord" to Gordon Slater's "St Botolph".

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil