Nagasaki day and Franz Jaegerstatter

After work to the crypt for an ecumenical service commemorating the execution of Franz Jaegerstatter in 1943. he is to be beatified a martyr for peace in Austria later this year and Pax Christi organised the service which is held annually. Pat was her usual friendly self and asked me to do a reading. The music was excellent - recorder solo, soprano and 2 guitars. We sang Taize, Jaegerstatter's hymn and We will put one foot in front of another in the path of peace" which I rather liked. Then we walked to the Peace Pagoda in Battersea park. I met Bruce Kent who greeted our Bruce when he was born with a card - Liz knew him when he was a priest in Kensington. He is now married and a tireless CND campaigner. The Buddhist monks led the procession and sang at the pagoda while incense was offered. There were various speeches and songs and it all went on rather long till finally the lighted lanterns were put on the river and they floated upstream to the beautiful Albert Bridge. It was a lovely sight and it remembers the many 1000s who died at Nagasaki.

Comments

Jane R said…
Wish I could have been there, John. We had some similar processions in California when I was living there, here and there. Haven't found one yet here in North Carolina, but I've been hiding out writing in these final days before term begins at my college, so I may not have looked hard enough. Also, we've been having 100-degree heat!

Thanks much for the description of this commemoration. Always good to read you.
Jane you are too kind. Simple village organist has an excellent post on this day!
Edward said…
I would second Jane's comments. Although in the current drought, the Los Angeles river resembles a leaky faucet--not good for floating things on!
I didn't even know there was a Los Angeles river! It was a beautiful and moving ceremony perhaps because it was so simple!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil