Broadway theatre Catford

Last night took 75 bus to Catford for the organists association visit to the Compton theatre organ in the Broadway theatre installed in 1932 and restored by Peter hammons who demonstrated it. We were able to see the chambers and the blower. It is on 10 inches of wind pressure and hence very loud. It can be played as a classical organ or a theatre organ. David played "I want to be beside the seaside" which is what I wanted to do but I played "We'll meet again" and "Land of hope and glory". We were joined by 3 SSL0 members and a composition student from Goldsmiths. It was a fun evening and Adrian gave me a lift home. I've played a cinema organ before and the console is bewildering! Best to let others add stops like drums and triangle! It even has a chryssyglot which is like a musical chimes on glass!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil