Baptism of the Lord

On the 9th I worked and to Vespers and Mass - Liz and I were a little late as on the bus. Fr Michael at mass. Train home. I always think this feast is intriguing. Why did Jesus have to be baptised? I think it was to show him and everyone around who He was. The voice from heaven is the whole point. He is then driven into the wilderness and begins his ministry with that amazing statement at Nazareth - "this day this prophecy is fulfilled". On the 10th we sang a lovely setting of "Come down O love divine" by Hilary Tadman-Robins born 1947 one year after me and I played Bach's "Christ the Lord to Jordan came" which was one of Dad's party pieces. I was rather chuffed I got the pedal part right. The left hand running semiquavers are more tricky.
Spent the afternoon taking the tree and decorations down but the crib stays up until Candlemas. The tree in the front garden will have to stay for the moment because of the snow! The boxes are still waiting to go to the shed and the rubbish has not been collected. Mind you the trains and buses are running most of the time. I now have an Oyster card int he morning which saves me money!
Monday 11th Catenian council was cancelled so i made a second visit to Balham and showed plans to Clare and Jeremy (with Julian's agreement). The store badly needs sorting out - there is clearly a great deal to do! I left at 8 and was home on train and bus by 8.40 which is quite good.
Tuesday 12th was organists association recordings evening at Moira's but I cried off as car not movable in the snow. I found out at 7.15 interview was tomorrow and PowerPoint should be sent in advance if possible so I did one in 30 minutes and sent it off. I already had my SMART plans on a spreadsheet. Only 3 are to be interviewed.
Watched Michael Portillo on railway to Blackpool, Simon Schama on Obama and Muslim driving school. Liz at servers council.
Today more snow. Liz to Grandma's as community matron due but she did not come. Long chat to Ann. Message to say Edward is no longer artistic director of the chorus -not surprised! I did not go to unison committee meeting in all this snow!
Intrigued by the Lee Messiah selections concert but I am biding my time. John Carton asked me to help with Monday rehearsals and I said I could do nothing until Feb 8th. Now he says rehearsals start next Monday with Godfrey Salmon violinist as musical director. I thought I was going to play piano for rehearsals and conduct the concert and proposed getting a good organist on March 27th - Richard Pilliner is available but of course will want a fee. Not much money around - what's new?
We have had some lovely cards this year and I am keeping some for my spirituality day presentation on Feb 3rd. It's nice to think about the tree decorations and where they came from - Bethlehem, South Africa, Alaska, Australia, Germany but it's a bit sad when they come down!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil