Festival of Britain and Elijah

Up early and checked Bromley catalogue and found scores I need! To 8 a.m. Mass at St MAry's - Fr David looking very old. At Coulsdon played Parry's Elegy which is inscribed "Happy brithday from Nellie 23.8.46" a month before I was born! Mum and Dad remembered in the prayers - 5 years! I also played Jerusalem and Boellmann and Nixon on Adoro Te. Hymns included To be a pilgrim and Father hear the prayer. Straight to Waterloo where I had a coffee and Louise and CiarĂ¡n arrived at 12.20. I mislaid my phone cover. To Royal Festival Hall where we watched Edward German's "Merry England" done by Ilford operatic (very dated), Asian dancing from Brent, Dagenham girl pipers (some of them not girls any more)and Punch and Judy. Excellent exhibiton about 1951 Festival of Britain and tea at collectors show. To the roof garden for Pimms and left them at the beach. On underground to RAH. Pre-prom talk on Elijah was disappointing but the performance was excellent. Large choir and the young soprano sound was thrilling. Excellent boy soloist, disappointing tenor but Simon Keenleyside was great. Freda invited me for champagne at interval - her 79th birthday. Adrian brought the organ score signed by Thomas Trotter and I lent it to Alfredo. Saw Chris Tew on the train going home - he is in the arena.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil