Sunday

At Coulsdon we sang Statham in D and "What wondrous love is this" beautifully arranged by Geoff Weaver. The baby to be baptised was keen to fall into the font! I played "Come unto me" from Messiah (gospel of the day) and Toccata and Fugue in D minor. This was much appreciated especially by Molly and Ella who seem keen to join the choir in September which is great. The problem will be fitting in choir practice in the their busy lives. Rehearsed with Karen for her ACertCM exam on Friday and she told me more about Jo Richards (formerly Richard Jones). To Vespers at the cathedral and we were acolytes. Stunning "Great is the Lord". Liz stayed to turn over for the Czech recitalist who played an odd programme. To evensong at St John's Upper Norwood. Paused for a moment in the rain where the ashes are buried - it will be 2 years next month since Mum and Dad were called to glory. We sang Noble in B minor and "O Lord my God" by Purcell. Dad's favourite hymn "The duteous day now closeth". Evensong on radio was from Trinity College Cambridge featuring Kenneth Leighton. The Choir featured Wagner's choral music. Watched a thrilling men's final from Wimbledon which Nadal won. Spoke to Dennis about wedding - we are not happy.

Comments

Edbowie said…
I never think that 'Great is the Lord' is as good as 'Give unto the Lord' but I agree an excellent rendition. Nice to hear a broad expansive anthem rather than the usual motet. Maybe I imagine it, but I always feel that the final 'Salve Regina' of the full choir summer term is given extra 'welly !!
You are not imagining it Ed - I'm sure it had extra welly! Don't forget there were extra men there I think. Mgr Mark gave them a good farewell as he always does - so sad he is going this Saturday - we will all miss him!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil