Christian Unity prayer

At Coulsdon we sang Oldroyd Mass of the quiet hour and Harris "Holy is the true light" at David Steer's request. In the congregation was the original treble soloist for the Mass and I am trying to persuade him tow rite about the experience. The choir gave David a framed photo and there was sherry after service. We sang "Thy hand O God has guided" and Thiman's voluntary on Harwood's "Thornbury". Met with Vickie to choose music for February. Home for lunch and then to Vespers at the cathedral where the Dean of St Paul's preached and the choir sang Palestrina. Tom Winpenny from St Paul's played Bach and Reger in his recital. I was cantor at the 5.30 mass and all went well except for the plainchant Gloria which I didn't know. Martin Baker improvised amazingly as always. Watched some of Antiques roadshow and Lark rise to Candleford. Malcolm Hubble will deputise in June and November and I did the February music list. Songs of Praise features the organ!

Comments

Edbowie said…
I have never heard Thiman's music in recital. Apparently he was an excellent hymn player noted for his last verse reharmonisations. MB was on marvellous form at the mass. He used one of his favourite devices in the improvised prelude; a development based on a pedal ostinato. You sang very well; the Orbis Factor Gloria does not havwe the melodic flow of the de Angelis setting. What has happened to the usual 5.30 cantor?
You are too kind. The usual cantor seems to have taken a break so I did 2 weeks in a row and I am due to do Feb 24 as I want to be at Tim Harper's recital. Liz is doing Feb 17. Now Ed you really must make yourself known to me!! I like Thiman's music - it is workmanlike, practical and enjoyable to play and listen to. MB is stunning. Actually despite all my experience it's quite daunting to look out over such a vast congregation and sing! and I did not know that Gloria! It was better the 2nd time around as I had minimal rehearsal. The second week the introit music could not be found so Thomas improvised!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil