An unusual composer






Oops! Loaded wrong photos - read on to learn about Chris Hewer and the Battersea Park mystery!
On Friday evening I was listening to radio 3 in the car on the way home from choir practice and there was some very haunting singing in an Arabic style. The melody reminded me of the hymn tune "God of mercy and compassion" which is a French tune arranged by Pergolesi. The composer was Osvaldo Golijov born 1960! It was a very different morning with the band from Battersea Technology college playing black music in the foyer. I worked on Saturday having had 3 Saturdays off in a row and served at 6 p.m. Mass as usual. Good to have deacon Peter with us again. The organ was silent and we felt that some singing like the Lent Litany was needed at the preparation of gifts so I emailed Thomas Wilson. Fr Tim agreed. Today Liz was at the cathedral all day as there was the 2nd rite of election and she was cantor at 5.30 mass. At Coulsdon there was a baptism and we sang "Jesu grant me this I pray" and chanted the psalm unaccompanied.
At evensong the choir sat on my side of the stalls with the congregation of 7 on the other side. We sang Psalms 12 and 13 (one slip) Willan Faux bourdon canticles and Mudd's "Let thy merciful ears". Also plainchant office hymn and Lent litany. I played Bach "O lamm Gottes unschuldig" and Brahms "Herzliebster Jesu". Watched Sex with Mum and Dad (a born again Christian couple), In cold blood, Antiques roadshow, Lark Rise to Candleford, Monty Don in gardens in India.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil