Advent Sunday

Woke at 4 and 6 and 7. Liz off to the cathedral. I did some hoovering and reading and then to St Paul's cathedral for Sung Eucharist. I was early so did some more reading despite the Germans next to me. Lovely Bach Nun komm der heiden heiland prelude. Men sing plainchant very heavily. Byrd 4 part Mass always a treat. An exc sermon from the Treasurer. Dean presided - he appears to tbe High Church. I hated the vestments and altar frontal - purple with check pattern and blue! Nobody seems to bow to the altar apart from the 3 main clergy! Byrd Vigilate motet at communion. 3 rather odd hymns to well known tunes - why? Lift up your heads to Wareham, O child of promise come by James Quinn to Carlisle and Ye servants of God. Lovely Rachmaninov Alleluias and the responsorial acclamations worked quite well. Mendelssohn Prelude and fugue in E minor at the end but the lady from Stuttgart next to me wanted to chat - she said I had a good voice, they had been to Opera House for the Donizetti and were going to Messiah at the Albert Hall tonight and Eton tomorrow although not Windsor for some odd reason.
Cappucino and to talk by Rev Jane Maycock which was about Advent. I asked a question on Meister Eckhart and commented that "Sing lullaby" was a better choice for carol services as it mentions crucifixion and Easter. Got a good reply and bought her book of Advent meditations which she signed for me. A lady hearing I was at Heythrop gave me the World centre of meditation magazine. Bus and train home for ham and nice rice pudding. Advent wreath is up and the Advent decorations. There will be minimal Christmas this year! Claudia lit the Advent wreath candle last night.
To St John's for Advent service which involved the youth group well. We sang Advent prose and Wood's O thou the central orb. Pity it wasn't by candlelight! Farrell and some nice readings which I could hear on the loop well. Long ago and Wachet auf. Hoovered and played Wachet auf on the piano. Antiques roadshow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil