My back

Last Saturday saw the climax of problems with my back. Throughout the week I had had some pain in the left hand side of my lower back. I thought this might have come from the fall I had carrying the cross up the side stairs of the sanctuary. I had pain even when lying in bed and was convinced we needed a new mattress. The pain was worst in the evening and on Friday night I had a great deal of pain just after I drove off from choir practice. I had to stop the car and rest. I had been taking Ibuprofen all week and a hot water bottle helped and Ibuprofen gel. Saturday i went to work as usual and felt fine but on arrival at the cathedral I felt the first twinges. These increased during Vespers so I sat on the sanctuary for the 6pm Mass and did not serve. The cantor helped to go to communion and as we came off the sanctuary, the pain returned. On getting into the car the pain was excruciating and I was crying with pain. Liz took me to St Thomas's Hospital casualty.
The triage nurse asked me on a scale of 10 what my pain was and I replied "10" so she immediately gave me Ibuprofen and 3 paracetamol. By the time we saw the doctor 90 minutes later the pain had gone. He said he thought it was a muscle spasm or a trapped nerve and to see my G.P. in 2 weeks time. I was given Ibuprofen and Cocadeine to control the pain. I was able to play at both services on Sunday and was fortunate to get a first appointment at the British School of Osteopathy on Tuesday. An excellent 3rd year student and 2 other students did a full investigation and examination under supervision. This cost £12 for an over-60. I returned on Friday for more treatment on muscles at the top of my back and my knees. This cost only £10. My right knee is a little swollen from the arthroscopy 6 years ago! My left knee was playing up a little. I continued with my daily swim of 30 lengths each day which helped.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil