Advent 1


A remarkable carving from the Cameroon with the Christ child in a traditional basket - see the Episcopal Diocese of Washington Advent calendar.
This morning we sang "O thou the central orb" by Charles Wood and Wood in the Phrygian mode which was my audition piece 3 years ago! Also the Russian 3 part Kyries and Chris Walker's Stay awake. I played "Nun komm der heiden heiland" by Bach and Buxtehude and Willan on "Bristol". Discussed the carol service on the 23rd using choir suggestions and produced a draft list. We only have 2 rehearsals and 3 sopranos are missing next Friday so I am suggesting an extra rehearsal as I am not missing the Albert Hall concert with King's Cambridge on the 21st!
To King's College hospital and eventually found the restaurant where we had lunch. Liz showed me the lovely chapel and I bought a red ribbon for World Aids day. Dennis had come over from Ireland to see Grandma and she was delighted to see him. I dropped hom off at Victoria coach station and listened to St John's Cambridge carols on Radio 3 - very beautiful. Our Advent carols went well. I played "Sleepers wake" and the St Mary's RC folk group form Old Coulsdon led "When is he coming". The guitar worked well in Wait for the Lord Taize. The choir sang Advent responsory, Martin How's Advent message and This is the truth sent from above. I finished with Bairstow's Prelude on Veni emmanuel. After all this it is hardly surprising that I slept on the sofa but I have recorded Songs of Praise (RSCM) and Cranford and The Blair Years!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil