St Andrew's Day








Jesus calls us o'er the tumult of our life's wild restless sea,
day by day his sweet voice soundeth, saying "Christian, follow me"
As of old St Andrew heard it by the Galilean lake;
turned from home and toil and kindred leaving all for his dear sake.
To Battersea for Anne Walker's farewell after 42 (!) years in the library service. A gathering of faces from the past including Tony Shaw (local historian), Victor Chapman, Roger Coton - I almost expected Mr Otway to reappear! The staff room for once looked nice with lit candles. I couldn't stay long so Anne gave me a bottle of Merlot! She liked the photo I gave her from my own leaving do at Battersea. How glad I am to be at Battersea Park - that building at Battersea is no fun but good for the waistline! Ann's daughter Laura is now 34 and of course Dennis is 30!
Train to Coulsdon South in pouring rain where Caroline picked me up. The 7.15 service went really well. We sang the Haydn Gloria, Greening's "The eternal gifts" and Bruckner's "Locus iste". I played the Dubois Toccata. Lots at the free fish and chip supper with delicious gooseberry and apple pies. Proper Scottish country dancers to show us what to do and enjoyed the Gay Gordons and St Andrew's Fair. I danced with Joan from Norbury Methodist and it was fun! I'm not good at the polka step - too quick! Tony Trent and Ellie were there and I spoke to Carol Steer about the impending move in January when we lose David our tenor. The organ had been tuned so ciphers have gone (we hope) and it sounded great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil