Organists association President's annual report

President’s report Bromley and Croydon District Organists’ and Choirmasters’ Association for AGM April 25 2009

Let me begin by apologising for not being with you today – I have triple-dated myself! Looking over the season I am sorry to note that meetings have, despite my best efforts, too often fallen on days when I am working in the library and I have been sad to miss them. I am grateful to our indefatigable secretary for keeping us all in touch and doing so much to organise our events. Thank you Christopher!
In September members visited the 3 manual Hill organ at St Dunstan’s, Bellingham and followed this in October with a visit to Dulwich. I have heard Norman Harper play the Robin Jennings organ in the Old library at Dulwich College and it is an interesting instrument. The visit concluded at St Stephen’s, Dulwich.
The October 29th visit to the Welte Player organ at Salomons, Tunbridge Wells was delightful and shows that members will come on a weekday visit in half term!
In November Nigel Groome led a choral workshop at St Paul’s, Beckenham with his excellent choir from St George’s.
Not so many members came this year to the social supper evening at Christian Strover’s which was a shame as the food was excellent.
In January Christopher presented a programme of recordings at the home of Moira Budds and we are grateful to Moira for her hospitality for this and our committee meetings which have been well attended.
I really wanted to play the Gray and Davison organ in St Anne’s, Limehouse as this is featured on the excellent CDs of Southwark organs and I am keen for us to visit and play these excellent instruments.
In March Christopher Moore gave a fine master class so we have had events this year to help organists and choir trainers.
Still to come are Maidstone, Cambridge, the annual dinner and the country tour.
Looking ahead plans are in hand for a week in Belfast next year probably the first week in June. Please let Christopher or I your views on dates for this trip.
Your committee welcomes ideas for meetings.
It is good to note that financial matters and membership are holding steady. It would be lovely to have some younger members – I learnt so much as a youngster going on organ crawls!
Many thanks to Michael Toplis, Paul Clarkson, Christian Strover, David Dibbs, Kenneth Baker and all the committee members.
With best wishes
John Woodhouse
President

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil