Christmas Eve

We set off in time for Liz to get a train from Kent House to go to Vespers. I heard the first 45 minutes of King's in the car including The Lamb and Britten New Year carol. The new carol by Thea Musgrave worked well. Not so sure about Joy to the world. The crib service and Christingle at St Michael's was awful. It was preceeded by a tape (this always annoy me). We sang quite a few carols but the sight of children tearing round the church looking for crib figures was not a happy one. Paul lost it at times suggesting that Jesus travelled on Santa's sleigh and confusing the Christingle symbols - 4 angels or 4 seasons. It just went on too long - nearly 90 minutes and I will certainly play for it again! I got to the station to find trains were every half hour so abandoned the plan to get to cathedral for 6 p.m. Mass and went to Anerley. Organ played OK and Fr Sunith mentioned me at the end. Fr Stuart remarked that I had sneaked in from the cathedral! I picked up Liz at West Norwood and we went to Stephen and Judith's. At this point I found I could not find the door key Stephen had leant me. Sam let me in and there was a lovely meal ready for me. Their home is lovely with a real fire and lovely paintings by Judith's mother. I read The Tablet - I suppose I should have had a sleep. I walked to the church in the rain and there were 90 there. All went well and the Gloria and proper to Angels from the realms went well. I played In dulci of Bach at the end. Stephen gave me a lift home and I watched a little of Westminster Abbey recording Bed at 1.30. Liz home at 2.45.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil