Ascension

To work. Liz was supposed to be on sacristy duty but Grandma not well. I was thurifer at cope vespers. Nick flapped about at confirmation with Bishop John. Oliver had told me he was playing "Heut triumphiret" of Bach before the Alleluias. I was ready to go and be boat but Nick hared across and off they went despite me saying wait! Result Alleluias sung as Deacon reached the ambo! The bishop got the priests to lay their hands on the 19 candidates and he as always spoke well. Still it all went off O.K.
Sunday we sang Praetorius Ascensiontide motet and Statham in D. I played Heut triumphiret. Watched programmes on medieval mind and Dan Cruickshank on architecture. Also "Am I normal?" on believers. Returned to Coulsdon for evensong at 5 p.m. 2 tenors David and Bob. Harwood in A flat, Hutchings God is gone up, Sanders responses. All went well and I played Willan on "Miles Lane", Mawby and Rawsthorne Festal trumpets. 2 great hymns "Christ triumphant" and "All praise to thee" to "Engelberg". Bob says he has been a chorister for 50 years!

Comments

Padre Rob+ said…
love all of that music...
Thanks Fr Rob - great hymns and anthems! I have had the Gloria of Harwood in A flat on the brain this week!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil