Corpus Christi

A rare Saturday off with nothing planned. Hoovered, washed kitchen floor and cleared up. Washed nets and cleaned windows. Louise came for lunch - nice meal but not so keen on ginger. Nice pudding with raspberries and a fine day. Garden looking lovely. To vespers and Mass and I was cantor. Lots of servers on for procession. It turned out to be a big sing. Oliver introduced me to David Grealy who is from Galway and is to be organ scholar from the autumn. The procession went well - I stayed at the mike and then joined the end in Morpeth Terrace for a short while. Some of the choirboys were leading the hymns. Liz was thurifer. Sunday to Coulsdon - only 3 in choir but they sang Taize Ubi caritas very well. It seems Kevin Shears did not rehearse the Rutter setting last Sunday so the tempi were too slow. Monica said she had missed me! I played Andrew Moore's voluntary on "Aurelia" dedicated to me, Vaughan Williams on "Hyfrodol" which has a splendid pedal part, and Colin Mawby's "Ubi caritas". Watched an excellent programme on the passionate love life of Vaughan Williams and Wild China. Songs of Praise was about Charles Wesley and evensong was superbly sung from Manchester Cathedral where I was last week. Parry Great service and Stainer "I saw the Lord".
Liz says David Grealy was cantor at 12 noon mass and he played very well at the recital - Stanford, Vierne and Franck. I was cantor at 5.30 mass with Fr Tim. Simon is a much better accompanist than Oliver - he does play more loudly but he gives a clear lead and makes me feel more confident. He improvised on "Adoro Te" at communion. Fr Tim gave an excellent homily. Deacon Peter was at Mass last night and form his blog he has been to dinner at Lambeth Palace!

Comments

Edbowie said…
I think, looking back over the year, Oliver's main strenghth is as a recitalist. His recent Vierne 3 was among the most thrilling I have ever heard. On the other hand he does not seem to have a particular flair for liturgical improvisation. Not surprising really as the liturgy at Kings does not seem to offer much opportunity for extensive improvisation or in depth experience of gregorian themes.
I quite agree and he is not a brilliant accompanist either. It seems he wants to teach!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil