May supper

Back to work and not many staff on. To Addington Palace golf club for circle May supper which was a better meal than in Manchester - roast beef, summer pudding. Sat with the Barretts and Del and Declan. Won sherry on the raffle.
Tuesday a busy day and home in the evening. Supposed to do June music list but fell asleep. Spoke to Ann on Skype in Canada.
Wednesday to Health and Safety Unison reps course in Putney. All men on course and a mixed bunch - stonemason, manager, dustman, security staff. Had a filled roll at Subway with Ian paramedic. To National Portrait gallery to see the blue stockings exhibition and the old shops photos. To National Gallery to see Alison Watt Phantom pictures - not that impressive. An excellent free concert in the central Hall by 2 Russian postgrad students from the Royal College of Music. Ilva Movchan violin and Anna Peletsis piano. The violinist very tall with lots of hair and like Nureyev. The Chopin Nocturne in C minor made me feel sad. Rachmaninov Musical moment No 5 in glorious D flat and No 6 in C beautifully played. The Ravel violin sonata was very well played.
An enjoyable exhibition of primary school children's work inspired by Rubens.
To the cathedral for Jennifer Bate's recital. Saw Oliver, Thomas and Martin. Oliver asked for a cantor on Saturday. Messiaen's Livre du Saint sacrament was not to my taste and I read The Tablet. Mercifully there was a break after the 11th movement so I escaped. One can only take so much long discords, meandering melodies, chant like bits, little twiddles high on keyboard! Home in time to see some of "The Apprentice".

Comments

Edbowie said…
I thought that the cushion might have helped you to survive to the end of JB's recital. Some movements are good; Institution and the Resurrection of Christ for example. However its a hard listen to hear the work in one sitting and also reveals the limitations of Messian's compositional technique. I hope you recovered from the shock of Raef being sacked; I thought he would win it !!
Yes I thought Raef would win! SO glad Michael has gone! I loved Time Out's comment that Sir Alan must now be dreading having to see one of them every day! I confess I went to the Messiaen concert only because I had a season ticket!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil