Choirs!

To chorus on Thursday at 7 p.m. Edward quite rightly insisted on silence and no talking. We worked on 2 Mendelssohn motets both new to me and the Kodaly Laudes organi. Swam 40 lengths both days. My right leg twinging, left hip bruised but O.K. A fall certainly shakes you up! Friday left 4.30 and was acolyte with Liz at solemn vespers with combined choirs of Westminster Abbey and the cathedral. Splendid David Beavan Magnificat, Ave maris stella setting and Mendelssohn Ave Maria. Congratulated Ian on his marathon success. He was sun burnt from watching cricket! To church and practised Mendelssohn 3. I got annoyed during practice over arguments about Murrill's tempo settings - if I'm conducting I set the speeds! Also a dismissal after one sing through of a Hildegard of Bingen item. Music must be given a chance! Why do we dismiss things so quickly? In any case such discussions should be at meetings not at practices! Altos stayed to rehearse Murrill and I kept reasonably calm. Louise came - she had been to see Grandma. It is Herbert Murrill's centenary on Monday. He was head of music at the BBC and died in 1952 aged 43. Mendelssohn was only 38 when he died.

Comments

Edbowie said…
I must admit that Murrill in E is one of my favourite canticle settings. Uplifting and melodic. Unlike a lot of settings it sounds through-composed and not bitty.

I admire you for your forebearance with the choir. Not sure why you put up with it some times !!
Patience is a virtue but there are times....! I agree Murrill in E is a great setting - do you belong to the Herbert Murrill appreciation society on Facebook?

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil