Dream of Gerontius by Sir Edward Elgar


Tonight we rehearsed with Sir Andrew Davis. It was quite like old times. I have been in the Philharmonia Chorus for 33 years and Liz several more years than that. I like Sir Andrew's approach to the work especially his idea of the demons going away afraid. The concert is in Westminster Cathedral on Thursday at 7.30 p.m.and promises to be a memorable occasion. Catherine Wyn-Rogers is singing the Angel - I see she signed my score as did Dame Janet Baker and Benjamin Luxon. The latter signed when we sang in York Minster in the 70s. We also have a photo of the chorus at the Festival Hall with Janet Baker and Sir Andrew. This is my favourite work - as the late Dom Alan Rees said of the Angel's farewell "This is a loving God waiting to receive us home".
Sir Andrew still has his chuckle and he spoke of his time at Kings' with Sir David Willcocks and the purity of their vowels in those days "I was gled".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil