Washed with pure water

I was very struck by a phrase in the second reading for the Ascension from Hebrews 10.
"So as we go in, let us be sincere in heart and filled with faith, our minds sprinkled and free from any taint of bad conscience and our bodies washed with pure water". I had earlier in the day been reading about how Muslims must ritually wash before prayer. We wash the priest's hands before the consecration prayer and after he distributes communion. The eucharistic ministers wash in the same way. I was always taught to wash my hands and clean my teeth before going to a communion service.
And how good it would be to be able to approach the service with our minds free from any taint!
Father Rob rightly reminds me about blessing ourselves with holy water as we enter the church and Asperges (sprinkling) especially in the Easter season - this has so far not happened at the Vigil Mass at the Cathedral to my knowledge!

Comments

Padre Rob+ said…
Don't forget the holy water with which we bless ourselves upon entering the church before Mass. It's nice to be clean before approaching the sacred mysteries.

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil