A holiday in the Forest of Dean

I drove to Gloucestershire on Tuesday once the car brake lights had been fixed! On the way I saw a sign to Down Ampney so I had to go and visit the church and there found a copy of the famous hymn tune pinned on the organ console and an excellent exhibition about the life of Ralph Vaughan Williams who was born there but left aged 2! Traffic round Gloucester was bad but I reached Lydbrook in the early evening and stayed with Trish Clarkson who used to teach IT at the library and works at Monmouth library. It was through her looking at this blog that the invitation came. Everything is homegrown and organic and there is a stunning view from her home. On the Wednesday we drove to Monmouth and to Tintern Abbey. The dedication day office at 12 noon in the Abbey was led by Archbishop Peter Smith and the Bishop of Monmouth preached about migrants. The rain held off until the procession to see the sculptor Philip Chatfield working on the statue of Our Lady of Tintern. I must confess I was surprised more had not been done on it. He recognised me from our encounter at Westminster Abbey. It was good to see the original statue.
St Mary's Monmouth was closed but we had lunch at the gift shop which is powered by heating sewage! I bought some juice and cider and a local ice cream! I then took the scenic drive and visited the splendid Dene Heritage centre and saw the cathedral window sculpture in the forest.
I must say having Radio 3 in the house and long lie-ins reading did me good! Today I visited Ruardean church, Gloucester cathedral (nice lunch there) and interesting video about stabling horses in the building during the Civil War. Also found the lovely stained glass remembering Howells, Sumsion and Herbert Brewer. Also a memorial to Ivor Gurney. Lit candles for Mum and Dad - I was born at Cheltenham.
On to Northleach to see the wool church and the excellent mechanical music museum. Burford church where I saw the old organ and a new Eminent and a cream tea. 2 hours drive from there to Gandhi Hall for Gerontius rehearsal! Lots of rain and the usual hold up in Cheltenham and Oxford. Had 2 swims at Cirencester and Five Acres - latter only 6 there in the evening so did 40 lengths!

Comments

Padre Rob+ said…
o i love Down Ampney... how cool

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil