Dream of Gerontius


Thursday's performance in the cathedral was very special! At the afternoon I spoke to Sir Andrew Davis and he signed my score. He remembered conducting the work with the chorus. James Gilchrist was a stunning Gerontius really singing out. I put him up with Stuart Burrowes as one of the finest I have heard. Peter Sidhorn a commanding Priest and Angel. Catherine Wyn Rogers has made the Angel her own and the final section was taken very slowly and tenderly. She bears comparison with my beloved Dame Janet Baker. The chorus did well we think and there was a good audience. Bruce came to sell programmes. We saw Gervaise afterwards and several friends. I certainly enjoyed the experience and it made me think hard about my end and what I have done in my life. Maybe we all need to think more about hell and judgement! Yes there is a loving God who will accept us all and purgatory seems like a logical idea especially for those who have no chance to repent. Othello has a line about not wishing to kill Desdemona's soul if she has not confessed her sins. How our world has lost this sense of sin and final judgement!
It was very moving to think of those who have gone before - Mum so ready to join Dad who also went without fear to meet his beloved Lord, Dom Alan Rees, so troubled at the end, but who had had such faith and love in his life, Howard Thomas with his quirky smile and rich baritone voice, Ethel Huntley (Russell Burgess' favourite demon) and deep alto, Alfreda Hodgson who sang the Angel so warmly, so many others - may they rest in peace and rise in glory!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes, I went to this and splashed out on a top price seat and wasn't disappointed. James Gilchrist was superb. I think that the David Hill Gerontius a few years back might just have the edge on this one but it was a good evening none the less. One of the first LPs that I bought was a MFP disc of Coronation favs conduted by a very hairy Andrew Davis. I recall that on Desert Island Discs he chose Howells Coll Reg Te Deum sung by Kings with himself at the Organ. As a lover of Howell's music that would be one or the eight discs that I would choose tho not necessarily that recording. As for purgatory as a conservative evangelical Anglican I better say no more....
Unthinkable - I'm sure the anglicans run the music in heaven Ed! That was David Hill conducting Philharmia Chorus or Bach choir?
This must be a different ed to Simple village organist in LA? Or are you edbowie under a new name?

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil