Bandstand and interfaith

At lunchtime to the bandstand in Battersea Park where 2 pop groups from John Paul II school entertained us. The Mayor was there and we dodged the showers. I was impressed at the young men singing so well.
To Westminster Interfaith network meeting organised by Westminster City council at the lovely Victorian New London Synagogue, Abbey Road, St John's Wood. The Rabbi welcomed us and we were given a talk about the building. The subject was the body and health and we had Jewish, Muslim, Christian, Hindu, Bahai and Buddhist perspectives. Alas time ran out precluding discussion but I did chat to my friend Woolf van Silver (representing Somali community) and met Terry who teaches economics at Oratory school and some folk from St James Spanish place. One of the nuns asked if I am a priest - she didn't see the wedding ring? They liked my wooden Bethlehem cross from Pax Christi. Fr Terry Phipps gave a good exposition on the incarnational aspects of our faith. The eats were good and the presentation excellent. Rob would have liked the comments on vegetarianism and their was discussion of circumcision. I learnt that Muslims have to have a complete shower every day and ablutions 7 times a day! Godliness is next to cleanliness. There was a lot to take in! We were given literature and a CD by the synagogue.
I have 11 booked in for Sacred tomorrow which is great!

Comments

Edward said…
The interfaith presentation sounds absolutely fascinating. Our pastor is really into body-spirit-healing connections, so I've been learning about this at church. Using it as a point of contact for interfaith conversation seems like a brilliant idea to me.
Jane R said…
So interesting, John, thanks for the report!
It was fascinating and if I had more time I'd publish the notes I have!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil