Deacon Peter


Congratulations to deacon Peter Simpson on the 10th anniversary of his ordination. See Chapel of the resurrection for some fine thoughts and photos! I served at Mass this evening and Mgr Mark congratulated Peter. He preached a fine homily on the sacrifice of Abraham. When I was waiting for the bus to go to chorus, a lady said "Is he going to become a priest?" Why can't people accept deacons as permanently in that state?
I was late for chorus - Beethoven 9 again from memory for the first night of the Proms on the 13th. The men are to be in black shirts again, no ties and jackets - I hate that! Robert finished early. Liz did not come as Mum wasn't feeling good.
This morning I only swam 18 lengths as had to be at St Mark's centre, Battersea for 8am breakfast meeting where we saw presentations about plans for Clapham Junction and the traffic around it. Very interesting and at last there will be disabled access to the station!

Comments

Edward said…
The men are to be in black shirts again, no ties and jackets - I hate that!

You'd rather be in pink? :-)
Definitely NOT! Buit I do like proper evening dress - white shirts and black tie. The TV people have too much power!
Edbowie said…
I like seeing Peter act as Deacon at Mass. He has a particular skill in reading the Gospel. He brings life to the passage. Not sure where he was born but his accent is a pleasure to listen to.
Edbowie said…
Given the subtropical heat of the RAH I would have thought that any excuse to leave the penquin suits in the wardrobe would be welcome. I don't have a problem with this. There seems to be a surfeit of Chorals in the coming months.Two at the Proms and one in the RFH. For me the Choral is abt the passage for strings that follows the Turkish march.Beethoven at his best.

Back to open neck shirts. This seems to be BBC house style. I went to the free city of London festival BBC Singers concert last night and the blokes werer all in black open necked shirts. A well sung programme but a bit indigestible. I thought that Dupre Four motets came off best. As for the Hakim, lets hope that Durufle or Bairstow were not listening !! Nevertheless a good choir. A large glass of Shiraz and the evening would have been complete.
Peter Simpson said…
Many thanks John for your kind comments - Liz sent me greetings early in the day, and of course I much appreciated the card from you both.

It was a very happy day for me - and I was pleased to have such a talented team of altar servers!

I was exhausted yesterday, so did not post on my blog. However, a photo of the occassion has gone on today!
Dear edbowie We must meet some time - you kknwo my photo so do come and say hello! I won't bite! I agree "Too many choral synmphonies" - danger of getting bored but I must say Dohnanyi was not boring at all and very demanding. Martin Ball enjoyed the BBC singers concert which is broadcast next week. I've met 3 people who enjoyed Latry's concert - last time I heard him at the RAH I was not impressed! Peter comes from Yorkshire and he does read the gospel so well!. he is completely himself. You're right TV lights and RAH are too much but I suppose I'm just old-fashioned!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil