Colin Walsh

Saturday lunchhour to Doddington west residents association garden party and Herbert from Holland came along too. Lots to eat but not many there! The BaseD garden is lovely. Louise visited Grandma and had a wedding dress fitting. Saturday evening's Mass was celebrated by Fr Tim assisted by Deacon Edward. On the way home we listened to the British film music Prom. Sunday we sang Bairstow in E flat and Wesley's "Lead me Lord" with a small choir. When I got to the piano there was no sign of Generations so Rose went to Sunday school to alert them. They sang Bernadette Farrell's lovely "You have called us by our name" and "O happy day" at the end. As Ellie was not there I had to play and be soloist and I got lost at one point! I will see Miko who arranged it for us on Friday! The bride has chosen the rest of the music for Aug 16th. I visited Grandma in hospital and Liz went this afternoon. At St John's evensong we sang Stanford in C and Brahms's "How lovely". Marilyn Harper played well. I went to hear Colin Walsh from Lincoln play the 1903 Hill at St Peter's Streatham. Some splendid Franck, Bach and Vierne. The Langlais rather spoilt by out of tune notes and cypher. The organ needs attention. The church is magnificent! I listened to 2 evensongs on the net Trinity Cambridge and the Temple church and watched Dimbleby's final programme on the Buildings of Britain. Have recorded the Prom featuring dancers and band from Soweto.

Comments

Padre Rob+ said…
Some fun music there :)

Did I tell you I LOVE Langlais?
Well I always knew you had excellent taste Rob! Not all Langlais appeals especially when the reeds are out of tune! I heard Incantation pour une jour saint and Chant de Paix last night. Oddly The recitalist left out a piece by Guy Ropartz last night! Similar thing happened at Tim's recital on Wednesday unless of course I dropped off!
This comment has been removed by the author.
Edward said…
Gracious, what a day! I know Bairstow's lovely Evening Service in E-flat for unison voices; is the communion service similar? Must check out the Farrell--"God beyond all names" is a favorite here. And I checked out St. Peter's Streatham on the web--it is indeed a fine-looking church. I hope they can get the organ back into good shape. Langlais does need well-tuned reeds! And at least a few working pistons...
Yes the Bairstow is similar and rather good! Bernadette has written some excellent music! St Peter's need money!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil