Martin Baker

Liz to hospital to help Mum come home - diverticulitis was the cause. Liz stayed over night with her. I went to Coulsdon to discuss hymns up to the end of September with Vickie. It was one of those days for missing trains and buses so i was late at St Michael's for Ian Harrison's recital. He is director of music at St Stephen's Bournemouth so played Whitlock, Mendelssohn Sonata No 2 and part of the Elgar sonata. Most enjoyable. Lit candles for Mum, Dad, Grandma and Padrerob! To Westminster Cathedral for Martin Baker's recital. Saw Andrew Cessana there and Ian. A splendid evening and a good audience! Beethoven Coriolan overture really worked well with reed stabbing sounds and gentler second theme. I cna do without Jean Guillou - I am not a fan! Liszt Fantasia on "Ad nos" was beautifully played. Then we had 3 tangos by Guy Bovet - the first illustrating a cat most charmingly. The finale was the March and Galop from "The Bartered bride" taken at a furious pace. I know this well as I have sing the Ringmaster in a production years ago at Redhill! We all went away happy and smiling!
Today I went at lunchtime to Miko's flat and he helped enormously with "O happy day" and lent me a backing track to play. Library was busy and I was so tired I fell asleep listening to Vaughan Williams' 5th symphony from the Proms.

Comments

Edward said…
What a wonderful program by Martin Baker! "Ad nos" is a favorite, and I'd love to hear the Bovet pieces. Well-chosen transcription material as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil