Sprituality and Jean Guillou

Sarah gave us a splendid meditation on Finding Christ in the Gospel. Taking the 99 names of Allah she produced a much longer list of names for Jesus! We chose a picture and were able to draw our own picture. I chose Leonardo and icon of the Last supper and worked on St Teresa of Avila's "Christ has no body now but yours, no hands, no feet but yours. Yours are the feet with which he walks, yours are the eyes with which he sees, Yours are the hands with which he blesses all the world" and linked this to "I am the Bread of Life". My picture featured hands, bread, chalice, feet and eyes.
A most useful exercise. Served at Mass and then to Jean Guillou's much heralded recital in the cathedral. I applaud his virtuosity and imagination and John East enjoyed it but I preferred last Sunday's music. Hyperion is a work about fire by Guillou. Many fiery effects but too loud and too long. The Vierne Symphony No.2 was again lots of reeds and my tinnitus didn't help. Some lovely flute effects but a very odd sounding cello solo. The cantabile got very loud. And where was the romantic expressiveness? The improvisation started well based on a phrase from Britten's Sanctus from the Missa Brevis and then the Rite of Spring theme was woven into it. The Bernstein mambo theme from "West side story" was not over used except very loud and fast and the end was abrupt! Many organists present and a good audience but worth £10 and £5 for the series programme - I doubt it!

Comments

Edward said…
Wow, lots of good stuff today! The 99 names had actually started me thinking about names for God in our tradition, although I hadn't actually counted... Don't tell Tavener, or we'll get another 7-hour work: The 99+ names of God, the 99+ names of Jesus, the 99+ names of the Holy Spirit, and the 99+ names of the Trinity!

The art exercise also intrigues me. I love the St. Teresa prayer, which I got to know through the Ogden setting you mentioned.

Somehow your report of Guillou doesn't surprise me too much! I never have cared for his playing of traditional repertoire; too imaginative for me. And although I have a great interest in contemporary music, few of his compositions interest me much. He recorded Hyperion at St. Eustache (a very loud organ), and I find it almost unlistenable; it must be really fierce at Westminster Cathedral! I'm usually impressed with his improvisations, however. I guess this one didn't really get off the ground. Too bad, as the themes seem to have been well chosen. (I heard him once improvise on Adoro te devote which was really not the best choice for him...)
Thanks Ed! What if Sir John reads my blog! Sarah found more than 99 names for Jesus in the bible! Yes the Guillou was not thrilling ta times - it was painful! All recitalists should hear the organ form the nave especially the reeds played for a long time! The reeds are so loud at the console perhaps he was wearing earmuffs?
Edbowie said…
Interesting if not surprising comments about the Gillou. I have heard him a few times at Saint Eustache where, as we saw with MB at Last Sunday's vespers, his improvisations fare best within the liturgy. Re the comment about the abrupt ending, this is a feature of JG impros. Far better that than organists that take ten minutes to end their impros. JG's interpretations of the repertoire have long been waywardand as for his own compositions...but a singular talent nonetheless. I wonder if you went to the Latry recital at the RAH the preceding Friday. A tale of two halves. An unengaging performance of the Franck 3 Chorale in the first and convincing performances of the Vierne 3 finale and the last movement of Guilmant 1. He does take things at a clip and I yearned for Francis Jackson's recording of the Guilmant. The impro was unmemorable. Again someone who is brilliant when improvising within the liturgy at ND but somehow the magic is lost when he plays elsewhere.
I don't know the FJ recording of Guilmant but I imagine he would approach it with taste and refinement! 3 favourable comments on Latry so far from friends. I'm not a fan!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil