Good Friday liturgy "demands my soul, my life, my all"


What an immense privilege to be mitre bearer for the Cardinal at this service which has such simple drama in a packed but empty church because the cross and candles have gone. I think particularly of Thomas the precentor, Fr Mark and tenor Nick standing before the throne waiting while the choir sings Bruckner "Christus factus est" and then they move to the pulpit to sing the Passion. The Cardinal spoke about Zimbabwe. The Veneration is always a deeply moving moment. We all genuflect 3 times keeping time with each other as we creep towards the cross held up before the high altar. The choir sang Improperia by Victoria. As the boys venerate the men sing Crux fidelis. We all kneel and sing "When I survey". At communion "Tristis est anima" of Poulenc and O vos omnes by Casals. Paul smiled when he commented that I had the mitre bearer's humeral veil tied at front and not at the back at the start - we got it right when I put it on at the end.
Liz remained to help with the Veneration and I drove to Coulsdon accompanied by Liz's Easter present the cathedral choir's CD of Palestrina Lamentations.
I was at the church by 5.45 p.m and we rehearsed Stainer's Crucifixion at 6 p.m. There were 13 in the choir including a bass from Oxted and Bob Atkinson, Dudley Coates and Bob Witham singing tenor. Monica joined the altos. Barry Eaton played really well and it was good to see David Steer again. He and John sang well at the devotion at 8 p.m. There were 38 in the congregation including a group from Banstead.I gave Marie a lift home and was pretty tired. Liz had baked some delicious hot cross buns.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil