Bits and pieces

Yesterday after examining I looked round the stalls in Southwark cathedral for the vocations day. I chatted to a chaplain from the Maudsley about interfaith work and met a sister of the Church based in Bristol. I told her about Sister Rosamund in Glebe who looked out for Mum and Dad so well. There were 160 people at the day!
I have finished reading Nick Hornby's "A long way down" which is a remarkable novel about suicide. The Tablet has had excellent articles about the Catholic Elgar and interfaith networks. Alfred Agius has agreed to speak at the launch on June 20th. It was a hot day today and I went by bus to church twice. At evensong we sang Harwood in A flat and The heavens are telling. All went well and I even managed a faster speed! To Royal Festival Hall for Beethoven 9 rehearsal with Dohnanyi who was very demanding. I saw Paul Daniel in the lift - he conducted the massed choir in orange, green, pink and brown in an English version of the work and Liz said it went well and she enjoyed it, Ed. There were loads of people about enjoying dancing, gamelan, pop music, gospel, you name it! Sir Alan Sugar's take on The Apprentice was fascinating. 2 baptisms at morning service and we started with "Jubilate everybody" which kind of sticks in the brain! Afterwards Generations met to start work on "O happy day" and Bernadette Farrell's "you have called us by our name" with actions. All in the midst of the baptismal party taking photos! I played Elgar "The spirit of the Lord" and the Jean Langlais Te Deum and 3 characteristic pieces.

Comments

Edward said…
John, your schedule would *kill* me! I'm glad the kaleidoscope Beethoven was a success; I wonder if there's a picture somewhere? Dohnanyi conducted something here recently (Mozart C minor?) and was *very* hard on the choir, I heard. The goings on at the Albert Hall sound like L.A.!!!
Yes it's pretty exhausting Ed! We have not done anything for Dohnanyi for a long time even though he is principal conductor of the Philharmonia. This is the reopening of the Royal Festival Hall NOT the Albert Hall!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil