The Spirit at work, Father's Day

On Friday morning I was sitting on the station reading Morning prayer when along comes Maureen looking as smart as ever. Her son Eugene was tragically killed in a gang fight and he was not a gang member at all. I went to his funeral as he used to come to the library to see his Mum when she worked with us. She said to me "What can we do?". My inadequate reply "Try to do good, speak out against this tragic loss, fight to improve things".
Saturday to the ordination of Richard Nesbitt at the cathedral. He was ordained with John Elliott by the Cardinal. What a wonderful celebration with good strong hymns for all to sing and some excellent cantors. Richard will be a fine priest as he is 40 and so kind. We gave him a candle Liz had specially made. The party in the Allen Hall garden which Richard tended for 6 years was delightful. Chatted to Deacon Peter and Fr Michael about music. Saw the famous mulberry which stood in St Thomas More's garden and visited the modern chapel. What a lovely day!
Today at St Andrew's we sang Darke in E and Bullock's "Give us the wings of faith". Canon Richard Broadberry gave an interesting sermon on the women who supported Jesus and the value of women's ministry. Good to chat to him afterwards. I practised "O happy Day" with Generations and Ellie got a clap for passing her Bishop's award. The presentation is next Sunday at Southwark cathedral at 3 p.m. so I will go.
I was playing Mendelssohn sonatas 3 and 6 and felt a bit sad remembering Dad as it is Father's Day. Dennis and Louise rang. Louise had been on her hen weekend to Bournemouth with 15 others and had fun. Liz and I went to Moss Bros yesterday and ordered my wedding tails. Lovely cream waistcoat and dark green cravat and I look quite good in them!

Comments

Padre Rob+ said…
I am so sorry for Maureen. Please let her know I am praying for her and her son.

Also Happy Fathers Day to you
Edward said…
The wedding kit sounds quite chic! You must post a picture.
All in good time Ed shall be revealed!
I will pass on your thoughts Rob - a real tragedy which affects so many lives and so sad that families prevent youths from coming forward to the police for fear of reprisals. How else cna the cycle of gang warfare be ended?
Happy Father's Day!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil