Trinity Sunday

At Coulsdon we sang Oldroyd's Mass of the quiet hour, Psalm 8 and Tchaikovsky's Hymn to the Trinity which works better taken more quickly. I rehearsed with Ellie and practised the organ. Then dashed home and up to Gandhi Hall for rehearsal of Beethoven 9 with Per Friborg from Gothenborg with the London Philharmonic choir. We went to the cathedral for the recital by Marco Lo Muscio from Rome which had vulgarity and noise as its hallmarks! Then to the Queen Elizabeth Hall where Stephen Rose regaled us with selections on the piano before Christoph von Dohnanyi arrived. He seemed happy enough! Watched programme on the remaining Apprentice contestants.

Comments

Edward said…
John, I just got your note about Beethoven in English (ick) and worse, the Color Coded Choir! Lord, have mercy, etc.
Peter Simpson said…
I like the Hymn to the Trinity - splendid words and music. I also have a soft spot for Stainer's 'I saw the Lord.' Another great anthem for Trinity Sunday. The last bit 'O Trinity, O Unity..' is smashing!
Gandalf71 said…
I don't approve your comments and words about Marco Lo Muscio's Recital! I have listened a good Bach and Langlais (Piece modale for flute and piano) and a very interesting and innovative work(transcriptions)about music Prog
from Emerson, Wakeman and Hackett. Maybe for you Progressive music is vulgar,but for many people is a important style of contemporary music!
Sorry, but your mind is very closed and old style...but compliments for your work and blog/site.
Patrick
I thought the vulgarity was in the overuse of very loud reeds and the same harmonic effects NOT in the choice of music. I agree the Langlais was interesting and while I am the first to admit I know little about Emerson, Wakeman and Hackett I think I gave them a fair hearing - I was quite intrigued!

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil