National Youth orchestra of Great Britain

A quiet Saturday at the library which I do not enjoy. Time to catch up and read the diversity course handbook which has lots of interesting facts e.g. 20% of gay people do not come out at work - heh how do they know? I am collecting messages and photos for Doris's retirement card. Christopher was in - he reminds me of Ronnie Corbett the librarian in "Sorry". He knew John Johnson and he said his brother also committed suicide. I wrote a review of "On Chesil Beach" for the Battersea limpets reading group. It will be interesting to read of the reactions of others.
Gillian Warrior writes: I suppose I have been avoiding commenting on this book, partly because much to my dissatisfaction the abiding memory of it is the description of the semen and particularly comparing it to a glaze that dries and starts cracking, and the desperate attempt to remove it with the pillow. When someone mentions this book to me I think of this. Why?

I suppose there is more than a little nostalgia in all of Ian McEwan's books that I have read, and a larger dose than most in this. I found myself sympathetic towards Edward and had the thought that this book could not have been written by a woman.

I was grateful for the sweet simplicity of a male attitude towards sex, at least of a sensitive man and no doubt I thought autobiographical to an extent but powerful enough to touch me.

That being said I think the book is lightweight and I would not particularly recommend it, or think of reading it again.

Talking of nostalgia I was on Saturday at a School Reunion - I saw some people I had not seen for 40 years. One of them was sitting next to me at lunch and when I asked her if she had any children she replied - oh no, no I couldn't you see, no couldn't possibly after all that time at the convent. My mind boggled.

I had a walk around the old School - now turned into luxury flats - some for sale. Might be interesting to live in the old Fifth form!
Later I walked, through a wood with hairpin bends down to the river Swale in the grounds - we used to cook breakfast there to commemorate Ascension Day. At the bottom there was an old derelict tower (strictly out of bounds when I was there) but we used to pretend a mad woman inhabited it and there were many 'dares' to knock on the door. Now owned by the Landmark Trust and a luxury holiday home!

Thank you for all kind words about the film evening which was great fun - hopefully there will be many more..

Gillian Warrior
gqw@btinternet.com

As always Carice goes right to the point! Gillian thank you SO much for your review. How honest! I have to agree that part of the book regarding the semen is very . . . graphical??
And her reaction to his premature ejaculation was very worrying. Most men would have given up with her and run a mile to another woman who was more willing, not marry this woman who appears very frigid.
Unfortunately I have a few more pages to read, so I don't feel fully qualified to make much comments about the book, other than to say that we humans have the unique and wonderful intelligence of thought and speech, yet we chose to try to communicate through telepathy. What is it about couples who claim to be 'deeply in love', spend half their lives guessing what their partner desires instead of just being open and honest and their wants, needs, desires and fears?, specially when it comes to the intimacy of lovemaking? What a waste!!

I am so glad that you had a wonderful time at your reunion. I couldn't help smiling as you described the 'old derelict tower', pretending a mad woman lived there. It must have brought up some really fond memories for you and your friends. What a treat! As for your friend who was did not have children after the convent,maybe counselling may have help?! (No disrespect intended)

I will put my review on here next week!
To Vespers and Mass where Liz was the cantor. Fr Ed gave us a pithy sermon about finding God in the messy world of being a pilgrim with others. I was thurifer. Philip was back and Victoria whose parents are originally from Chicago joined us.
Listened to the Prom and watched it on return home to sausages, stir fry and rose wine. Copland Symphony No.3 and Rachmaninov Piano concerto No. 4 Antonio Pappano conducting the wonderful National Youth orchestra.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil