South Africa and the reading group

John, In my quite long life I have seen women penned in by kitchen sink drudgery, and , as so often happens, release of pent up energy leads to an abnormal swing to the opposite direction; hence many men find themselves cowed by what they see as raging predatory women today!!
I know so very little about South Africa, except the media driven
sensational- seeking "news" that we are fed. I'd love to know more. Perhaps we might be able to persuade you to talk to us one Saturday morning, then we could take you out for lunch. (Hope Graham reads this, he's so good at organising such projects!) Carice
My email reply to Battersea Limpets
I would love to but an even better idea is to choose a book about South Africa like Cry the beloved country by Alan Paton or a Nadine Gordimer then everyone can contribute and not be bored by me droning on too long! Bear in mind that it is 35 years since I lived there and I have only been back once 4 years ago and that was a SHOCK!
Incidentally the SW11 literary festival launch has a South African theme - maybe that author might come and visit us! My wife thinks I have been greatly daring in these emails! Perhaps I will get told off!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas letter

Vigil